Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Are condoms really that good in protecting against pregnancy?

4K views 57 replies 43 participants last post by  TXjeepTJ 
#1 ·
Friend of mine said (and his wife was there to back the story) that he got his wife pregnant and they used a condom every time.

I think they forgot one time, but wasn't about to call them out on a lie.

Now I'm kinda worried, cause I do the bar scene, and rely solely on condoms.

His wife said that they are only about 80% effective, and not to believe the Trojan 98% bs.

Hmmmmm...

#2 ·
Well i belive the 98% thing, but technically that means that out of 100 times, 2 of those times will result in a possibility of pregnancy (one gets past the fence, no idea if it can swim the distance) But if u think about that 2 out of a hundred is a fair bit.

My advice is throw in some spermicide, it would further reduce the risk and also pray for the male pill to make it to the market

#4 ·
Well obviously if you found one couple who had a pregnancy while using a condom that immediately refutes all validity to the claims of the manufacturers.

Regardless though, if you were at the Horse Track and you were given a lead that a horse had a 98% chance of winning, would you bet on it? Would you still bet if it only had an 80% chance of winning?

#5 ·
They are 98% effective or whatever. I read a study a little while ago that had 100 couples use just condoms for an entire year and only one of them ended up pregnant. I'll try and find it no guarantees though.

#13 ·
i believe they are stated as being 98% effective when properly used.

IE: only once, mounted correctly, no girlfriend applied pinholes
+1

when it doubt... pull it out
Yup. There are a myriad of videos on the intertubes that offer suggestions on where best to finish.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
Snip snip pal. J/K. I’ve never known a married couple that used condoms. Or at least, non of them shard this info with me. My wife was on the pill from since we met. To the patch, the ring, and finally she decided on an IUD. You have no idea really… :rolleyes:

I don’t want kids, but if it happens, it happens.

#54 ·
Snip snip pal. J/K. I've never known a married couple that used condoms. Or at least, non of them shard this info with me. My wife was on the pill from since we met. To the patch, the ring, and finally she decided on an IUD. You have no idea really… :rolleyes:

I don't want kids, but if it happens, it happens.
<-------- This (almost) married couple does.

Infertality runs in her family, and with bc's ability to reduce fertality long after you take it, it is something we have to work around.

I will put this out there, Durex makes a rubber that comes in (what looks like) a container that should be holding a pad of butter. They come in a container, and each container holds 10. Their good. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
They are something like 99% effective when used properly. Im not sure how people mange to use them IMPROPERLY, but I guess it happens. And then it drops down to like 75-80% effective.

So just make sure you dont use magnums if you dont need them, and remember not to put it on inside out.

#11 ·
Cheap brand condoms will break on you - we've had several Durex brand condoms break during sexytime. Never a problem with Trojan. Get spermicidal gunk for extra protection in case of break anyway.

#15 ·
Has no one thought of the possibility that yes, she may have used condoms everytime with her husband, but what about a little something on the side.

Did they do a DNA test afterwards to prove it was his, I mean I believe in trust and all but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

#20 ·
I can tell you it beats the **** out of NOT using a condom which significantly increases your chances of getting gonorrheaherpecephalAIDS.
fixed it for you

Bar scene is nasty

#19 ·
Yes condoms work. All it takes is 1... just ONE time to get a girl pregnant, ask me how I know.

Raw dogging it may feel better but it's not worth it, cover-up your manatelia.

My life motto:

"Kids in the backseat DON'T cause accidents; ACCIDENTS in the backseat cause kids."

#22 ·
My wife just got an IUD and in the literature they had all the study data from various birth control methods. To clarify, when they say something is 98% effective they mean that a group of couples used that method for 5 years and it failed for 2% of the couples. So the odds each time are much better than that. Incidentally, the pullout method (they call it Natural - Withdrawal) was 96% successful. Not getting into the STD rates for that one though.

#30 ·
you also have to make sure they are sized correctly, and pinch the reservoir top when putting it on, it's very important.

www.condomdepot.com shows the sizing, so make sure you get one that fits you, condoms are not a one size fits all thing

with a foreskin you need a longer condom, as you pull the skin back back, apply condom, pullskin forward and continue rolling down, I wonder if the extra length covered would improve the effectiveness of the condom

#35 ·
yea as much as they say it, try going to any store that sells condoms and see what size selection there is. besides the specialty company's the in store condoms are one size fits all setup.

for the bar scene condoms are a smart choice, but if your with a girl for along time its so much easier and feels so much better with no condom and having her on the pill. Although watch out for emotional days when the pill screws with her hormones :rtft:

#44 ·
Put it in the pooper and you never need to worry about babies ..

Then, there is a girls best friend ...
eww and eww

a chick oompa loompa without makeup and costume......

And some wierd guy with...a really long tongue......

Something is wrong if thats what he gets with an abnormally long tongue....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.