Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Considering buying an xj. It has no rear drive shaft though.

889 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  98muddyjeep 
#1 ·
I'm considering buying an XJ with a 4in lift that has no rear drive-shaft on it because the guy never installed a TC drop or SYE on it. So he took it off since it kept eating through u-joints. If I decide to get it then I am going to have to put it in 4hi and ride home in FWD. This sounds like a bad idea to me, but I was looking for some other opinions. Thanks.

#7 ·
doesn't he have the old shaft? even with bad u joints it'll get u home and only take a couple min to put back in. Driving with front only is no big deal i'd be more worried about whats keepin fluid in the transmission. Have a parts beater we took the rear out of to do front wheel burnouts, little bit of torque steer, but still Jolly good fun.

#12 ·
I would be afraid of what you may find in the rear or transfer case there may be a problem and hes trying to pass it off on you.I would grab the rear yoke and give it a good wiggle just to make sure the bearings arent bad and also check to see if the output shaft on the transfer case spins.if so it could be bad angles and driving on front wheels only will be fine I broke my rear drive shaft about 150 miles from home and drove back home with only front wheel drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.