Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need to re-gear for daily driving on Highway

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  stokerdog 
#1 ·
I have a 97 wrangler 2.5L with the stock 4.10 gears but have 33" tires. I need to repair the rear ring and pinion and decided now is the time to re-gear front and rear. I do most of my driving on Highway to and from work so would like to re-gear it to get better mileage, more power and be able to actually go 75 on the freeway if necessary. I've had 2 different responses from shops, one saying I want 4.88 gears and the other shop saying I need 3.73. I've had better luck on here with actual people who have already dealt with this. Any help and responses would be greatly appreciated. THanks.:)

#5 ·
My daughter has the same setup on her jeep and when I checked the gear charts it looked like 4th gear with 33's was almost the same as 5th gear on stock tires. Her jeep will run 70 all day in 4th gear at 3000 rpms. Regearing will get you a low 1st gear back, but I don't think the top end will be that different especially for gas mileage. I've found that speed makes the biggest difference. Keep it at 55 and you will get great mileage. Drive 75 and you will get worse gas mileage than a 6 cyl. jeep.

#8 ·
Ok so I guess I'm not necessarily going for better mileage but more power, I'd like to be able to go fast on the highway if wanted. But going to 4.88 would give me more power and faster speed ability on the freeway than 3.73 correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.