Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rugged Ridge SYE possible issue...

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Jims-87YJ 
#1 ·
Ok My project is just about complete (see build thread in sig). I installed a RR SYE several weeks ago I thought it went OK. about two weeks ago I was able to test drive the Jeep in front wheel drive only as I did not have my rear drive shaft. Everything seemed fine I only drove it around the block. I received my Tom Woods rear CV shaft and installed it last night and today I went to take it around the block and I have a "clicking sound" like something is not engaged all of the way? I checked and readjusted the Transfer case linage but it seemed OK. While moving if I put the TCase in neutral the noise appears goes away.
(I also my have a drive line angle issue have a thread in the eng and drive line section) but if that were the case would the noise go away when the Tcase is in neutral? I can pull the TCase if I have too but hoping I do not :( I really just want to get this back on the road... Thanks for any help, Jim

#3 ·
I don't recall exactly but it was about a 1/2 inch. If the Transfer case in in anything but N it will happen under load or while coasting. Front shaft U-joints a new (it did not happen while riding in front wheel drive with out the rear shaft) and the Rear is a brand new Tom Woods CV shaft, all appear to be in excellant condition.

#7 ·
I gave up for tonight, spent the last couple hours cleaning up the garage, I will tackle this in the morning. to tired and ticked off right now to even look at it any more today, I need to step away and take a breather... thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.