Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what needs to be done for a body lift of 3 inches

4K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  gotmudnj 
#1 ·
my friend is wanting to get one because he wants clearance on stock fenders what all needs to be done like new hoses and such. for a 3 inch lift(no flaming its his truck)... but I thought he would need wire extensions and such

also for a 6 inch suspension lift he is considering chucks trucks because they have a deal but I explained they will charge him 1k in additional parts... help remind me of those extra parts

#3 ·
I don't care what he does hes just explaining great deals.. I run a 3 inch mine came with it... I like it and seems fine

but I am explaining to him just because they are 100 bucks you don't get it for 100 bucks... more stuff needs to be done

#5 ·
A three inch body lift looks terrible on everything, but let him do it, then remove yours and point and laugh, with the rest of the world. And a 6" lift is stupid that will cost you big $$$ on a Jeep.

#8 ·
Body could break off and go flying down the road, Ha Ha, I have had one for 6 yrs and when I play, I beat it pretty hard, and have had "0" problems, no vibs, wobble, shimy, sway, just waiting for it to do what all of these ppl on here say will happen, but has not yet, 50,000 miles,.

#16 ·
same here. It doesn't look so great, but she aint no show jeep either.

#13 ·
I know what I am having for lunch today!

...Not the body lift, the sandwich!

On topic: For a three inch body lift it goes from a simple 1" body lift to steering linkage brackets, fuel filler extension, transfer case shifter linkage, and a few other things.

#21 ·
Before you go ahead with the Bodylift, Read this entire thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/body-lift-bad-myth-fact-511796/index2.html

And look at this picture of a 3" in an accident...

I can't tell you what to add, and what not to add to your rig. Hell, I don't even have a body lift! But from what I've been hearing over the past year or two, I wouldn't go over a mild BL.

#24 ·
We arent wining about anything. You posted a thread on the internet asking for peoples opinion. You got that. Just because it doesnt fit into your master plan doesnt make them wrong and you right.

You do what you have to to your rig. Different strokes for different folks. I will be getting a 1.25 in BL so I can do my tummy tuck and such later down the road.

Also your friends Jeep is going to be highly unstable with 9 inches of lift. What kind of tires is he planning on running because he is going to have to start looking at different axles past 35 inches

#26 ·
We arent wining about anything. You posted a thread on the internet asking for peoples opinion. You got that. Just because it doesnt fit into your master plan doesnt make them wrong and you right.

You do what you have to to your rig. Different strokes for different folks. I will be getting a 1.25 in BL so I can do my tummy tuck and such later down the road.

Also your friends Jeep is going to be highly unstable with 9 inches of lift. What kind of tires is he planning on running because he is going to have to start looking at different axles past 35 inches
AND is he still going to be on short arms....

#29 ·
It's not as noticeable on trucks but that doesn't change the concepts--the body is still 3" higher relative to the frame. And if it's going on a silverado, why are you on jeepforum? I don't have a clue what needs to be done to a silverado with a 3" body lift. Perhaps you should tell your friend to do his own research on, I don't know, a chevy truck forum? That would only make sense.....

#30 ·
There are no issues with the wiring however you will have to relocate extend your shifter (manual) and transfer case lever... I have 40K miles on mine and love it! the addition clearence between the floor and the exhaust is great ... I have been running 32" without any problems... for the slammers who do not know better... unless your doing crazy rock crawling... a budget lift gets you out on the trails for cheap! I have had many Jeeps over the years and never had any issues... laught at them cuase you'll be able to afford new tires!

#33 ·
body lifts are ok as long as a suspension lift has already been done, for example a 4in suspension lift combined with a 1 or 2 in body lift would be cool but strait body lift is dumb

#34 ·
I disagree. A 1" body lift is pretty transparent. Let's say you had a TJ and wanted to keep the suspension at stock height but have some real fun--do a 1" body lift, 1" MML, flat belly skid, gas tank tuck, homebrew highline fenders and 35's. Pending your driveline is ready to handle 35's, you've got a pretty capable rig with no suspension lift, but that body lift was needed. Your belly height is now about 6.5" over stock (assuming plate is flat with frame).

#35 ·
I have a 3 inch body 4 inch suspension on 35's my jeeps great and takes a beating... hes just trying to save a buck and I am explaining that its not worth it... save for the kit he wants and not buy whats on sale first

I know its a chevy but I was just getting a generalization for him

I really don't give a **** what everyone thinks of body lifts... stick with your ghetto budget boosts I don't care... mine came that way so I left it.

but this isnt a thread to flame the body lift... its a thread to see what extras are needed

#39 ·
I would install 24" wheels, chrome tube bumpers, blue fluorescent undercarriage lights, fuzzy dice, a chrome chain steering wheel, imitation leopard-skin seat covers, coffee-can ricer exhaust, and play rap music at full volume with twin 12" subwoofers cranked up to max thump power in my TJ before I'd install a 3" body lift. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.