Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep stuck, then caught in flash flood

28K views 104 replies 70 participants last post by  ogie 
#1 ·
So me and my buddy went off-roading yesterday and I recently found this great area to do such a thing.
There's a wide open field with some big hills but you also got your trails that go back into the woods.
Well I followed this trail into the woods, and to make a long story short I went down a small steep hill, which is pictured below.

So I get down there and it's a nice area and below is a picture of what it looked like.

We hung around there for a little bit and decided to go ahead and try to leave. So I put my Sahara in 4-low and try to get back up that hill. Well the hill is mostly wet sand so I wasn't getting any traction there. I found this other place but i ended up getting me stuck. See picture below:

We tried and tried to get that thing off of there but it just wouldn't move. I ended up messing up my transmission to the point where it wouldn't go in gear. So we called some friends and we got this one guy over there but he wasn't able to do anything and then it started raining. So we all ran back to his car, leaving my Jeep there by the river....alone.
We start heading down the road and it absolutely starts pouring rain down. 3.2" of rain came down within 45 minutes.
So I get home, tell my brother the situation and we load up another car with equipment and go back down there.
When we got there the water had already risen a lot so we start getting out our wenches and jacks and other various equipment and we aren't able to move it an inch. I was sawing through a limb that was wedged between the front tires when the saw slipped and went right through my fingernail and about 1cm into the skin/fingernail. At that point, I'm panicking so I take off running, yelling for help, just running through this field but I knew there had to be people around because there were fresh tire tracks from a tractor. I run up over this hill and see a fence and a barn/stable area and I start running towards that. I had to squeeze between a gate and a fence post but I didn't see the fence post had barbed-wire on it so I ended up slicing open my upper arm. I finally come across these two guys who were working. And I was lucky to come across them because they had a lot of farm equipment like tractors that would pull the Jeep out. We headed down there in a truck first because they wanted to see what they could do and once we get back down there they realize there's nothing they can do. So they leave us to go get a tractor which took about 5-8 minutes.

By the time they get back, I was looking at something I never want to see again:

So once they get back with the tractor I knew we weren't loosing this car. They came rollin' in with the biggest chains I've ever seen. They told me to get back into the car, start it and put it into neutral. I stepped down that bank into the water and it came all the way up to my belt. So I have to jump in the car like that. So they hook the chains to the tractor and hook a tow line to my car and start haulin' that baby out. Well once I've been hauled it over where I was stuck it starts going up the hill that was infront of me. Well things were going smoothly until all the sudden the tow line broke from where it was attacked to my Jeep. At this point though the car was close enough that we didn't need the tow line anymore and just hooked the chains up to it. It was smooth sailing from there.

He towed it all the way back to his house were we called AAA and had a flat-bed come pick it up and take it to the Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership.

So at this point the Jeep is in the shop with a messed up transmission and it may be a while before we get it back because they are short handed right now in the Transmissions Department.

See less See more
#2 ·
So in other words you committed criminal trespass in a stock Jeep on crappy all season tires, couldn't figure out how to get it over a stick, and left it in a river to get flooded? And your recovery gear consisted of non ratcheting tie downs rated at maybe 300 pounds? (That ain't a tow line.) Oh, then posted pics of your utter fail?

Did I miss any details?

#57 ·
So in other words you committed criminal trespass in a stock Jeep on crappy all season tires, couldn't figure out how to get it over a stick, and left it in a river to get flooded? And your recovery gear consisted of non ratcheting tie downs rated at maybe 300 pounds? (That ain't a tow line.) Oh, then posted pics of your utter fail?

Did I miss any details?
^^^Hilarious^^^

#5 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just what I was thinking... Who is this guy?

-You posted pics on the internet on a site where illegal wheeling is bannable material of you having the guy whose land you were tresspassing on pull you out while you broke the law....
-the guy whose land you were tresspassing on pull you out while you broke the law....
-You broke the law....

The interwebz will not sympathize :rolleyes:

#4 ·
I bet you really wished you had gotten a RUBI huh? :D

#6 ·
Justice Served.

Just cause you got a wrangler doesn't mean you can go do anything. specially with Road tires they don't even look like A/T's

Like SilaSprit Should of gotta Rubicon

your lucky the Ratchet straps didn't snap and go through the windshield or even injure somebody

#9 ·
You're lucky the Ratchet straps didn't snap and go through the windshield or even injure somebody
X2

Ratchet straps are amazing for holding a cooler or canoe on a roof rack, but that's about it.

GO BUY TOW STRAPS

#14 · (Edited)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: (thats me laughing at your misfortune and stupidity). so to sum this up, you got stuck with street tires on a stick. the river rose to the depth of a small puddle and you freaked out. you hooked up ratchet straps to it and figured out you didnt know how to use a saw. now your tranny doesnt work, and you post this for jeepforum to see.

#16 ·
One word............ TIRES. :p

#17 ·
To all who think I was trespassing I had his permission to be on that land.
I come to this forum to enjoy the Jeep experience with other people and this is what I get? A bunch of people who don't know the whole story accusing me of trespassing and saying I "can't get over a stick."
Whatever, that's not what I expected from this forum...

#21 ·
I don't know what is worse; the story that could have been summed up in 3-4 sentences, the fact he called his jeep a car at least ten times, used 4-low to try to get up a muddy embankment,didn't care to see if he was in a flood plane, or that he used tie downs as a tow strap.

#22 ·
Ok boy you could not get over a slick hill and then got stuck on a thin stick. Just accept the fact that you did something real stupid and now your getting flamed for it. What did you expect by posting up a thread about you getting stuck with street tires then freaking out when the river was rising and then using the wrong recovery gear when trying to get out.

#38 ·
Actually the cost to fix the transfer case was only $0.00
We've been customers at this dealership for over 10 years and have bought at least 5 cars from them. They just put it as being covered under warranty.

Reminds me of a time when I was your age... :rofl: Been there done that

So how in the world does an 18 year old afford an '08 JK :confused::laugh:

The monthly payments must be as much as decent set of off-road tir, oh, wait :rofl:
Actually I'll go ahead and say I'm not even 18. I'm 16 and have been into wheeling for about 2 years now. It's really my Dad's car but we pretty much 'share' it. I do have to chip in for gas here and there sometimes though.

Everyone has that first bad off roading experience. I'll be back from Deployment in August and home in Winston on leave hopefully you have your tranny fixed by then and we can get together and do some 4 wheeling!:highfive::cheers2:
Already got my tranny fixed and actually just got back from doing some wheeling about 10 minutes ago. It'd be great if we could go wheeling sometime, always looking for local wheelers and new places to off-road.

#28 ·
holy ****, bunch of piranhas round here. :thumbdown:
he had an enlightening learning experience and chose to share it. let's pass harsh judgement asap. good thing I never did anything stupid when I was 18.
don't sweat it kid, I've seen lots worse.

#30 ·
Relax, 08_Sahara16. Expect to get a ribbing when you post yourself doing something noobish.

Looks like you learned the hard way that the "Trail Rated" badge is pretty shiny, but shiny don't get you unstuck.

Learn the tricks and skills of off-roading, and get yourself some good recovery gear (and know how to use it right) and appropriate tires. If you plan on wheeling off the beaten path don't do it alone - have a second vehicle for recovery/safety.

Watch the weather and be better prepared next time. Oh, and if you find yourself in a riverbed/wash that has alot of downed wood debris take it as a sign that the place has flash flooded before and could again. Be prepared.

:cheers2:

#31 ·
Sorry for your bad luck dude, but heres a few pointers.

1. Check the weather before you wheel (I dont care if its 2 miles away, check the weather)
2. Survey the area before you wheel, a little walking won't kill you.
3. BRING RECOVERY GEAR, not a ratchet strap. (if anything that ratchet strap should be holding down the tote full of recovery gear in the back of the Jeep (Note: JEEP not car.) )
4. See those sticks you got stuck on? See the way they're casually sitting there? The pattern in which they are in indicates that they were washed up in a flood. FLOOD PLAIN

Im not being a ****, just giving some tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.