Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

welding near gas tank?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tommyooooooh 
#1 ·
My rear upper bump stop broke on the driver side and my plan is to weld pipe in its place to fix it. After I started really looking the gas tank seems pretty close.

Do you guys think it is safe to weld that close to the gas tank?
Wet towel enough?
suggestions?

#2 ·
You'll definitely need a heat shield. If you have a piece of thin sheet metal, that would be ideal. I welded sub-frame connectors on my Camaro not realizing the fuel lines ran inches from where I was welding. The flames weren't bright enough to be seen through the welding helmet so I had no idea why my buddy started yelling and then rushed out of the garage. I went back to welding until I heard him come back in and start soaking me and the area around me with the fire extinguisher!

#3 ·
I agree with Schlotzky although I'd call it a spark shield instead of a heat shield. Heat won't be an issue that far away from the tank. You just don't want a spark to find that leaky o-ring on top of the tank letting the fumes out. If you don't have a piece of sheet metal to use as a shield, you can use a wet towel or canvas tarp and make a curtain between the weld and the tank. I worked in a welding shop where we made custom trailer hitches for motor homes and I've welded within an inch of gas tanks (barely enough room to get the stinger in there). The first time makes ya really nervous. After that, you get used to it. Just take proper precautions. If you smell any gas fumes, don't spark up.

Oh, and, have a fire extinguisher or at the very least a garden hose near-by.

#4 · (Edited)
A garden hose is better than nothing but have you ever poured water on a bucket of burning gasoline? Let me tell ya, water doesn't put it out - it only splashes the gasoline causing the fire to rain everywhere. Hmmm... I wonder if that's what "Set Fire to the Rain" means...*

#5 ·
I welded on my bumper and only used one of those fire blankets as a shield to keep sparks from reaching the tank.

#6 ·
Good to know. I didn't even think of not being able to see flames because of the welding helmet. That would be a bad situation to start a fire especially if you would have been alone. I think ill put a wet towel over the gas tank and then try to put some scrap pieces of steel plate in front of it as a shield. But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.

#7 ·
[snip]

But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
A garden hose is better than nothing but have you ever poured water on a bucket of burning gasoline? Let me tell ya, water doesn't put it out - it only splashes the gasoline causing the fire to rain everywhere. Hmmm... I wonder if that's what "Set Fire to the Rain" means...*
*Disclaimer: Do not try this at home.

:tea:

#11 ·
Haha It sounds like a fun experiment but unfortunately I can't even afford a full tank of gas in the jeep and if I had some to burn I don't think id literally burn it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.