Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

~Who needs a job? Six figures sound good?~

8K views 121 replies 48 participants last post by  2006_Sport 
#1 ·
Just as the title says.
If you are serious and need a good job, now is your chance.

PLEASE do NOT turn this into a political discussion. This thread needs to stay in this section so folks that need a good job and are willing to do the work can access it.
I'll ask the mods to remove any posts that would cause it to be moved.
Thanks

BP is hiring people NOW.
They need minimum 2500 people right now. If need be, they will hire 25,000 people to get the job done.
BP is very serious about the clean-up and monitoring of the Gulf Of Mexico.
No matter what you hear on TV and radio, BP is throwing everything they can at this, cost is not an object.

If you can handle being on a boat or working on shore, the pay is great, the benefits are great, and the opportunities to move forward in the company are there.

I received this email from the higher ups at BP, and I want to let you all have a chance at it if you need work or are looking for a change.

Here is a copy of the email:

I'm looking for names of candidates to hire to provide safety audits
and water & air sampling along the Gulf Coast. In particular, we are
needing folks with current 40 hr OHSA Training. They will be provided
specific project training for the soil and air sampling along with
safety audit checklist. Work is both geared to be on land and/out of a boat
that is securing boom to contain the oil. So working around the perimeter of
theoil slick will be a main function. Smaller boats all stay close to the
shoreline. We are "monitors". We are not part of the boat crew.
These people need to be hired right now. Please check your sources
and send me a list of names and numbers.

Here is what we are offering: Hrly Wage -- Straight time -----
$18/hr
Overtime --- Time and a half over 8 hrs/day
---- $27/hr
Use of Personal Auto/Phone -------- $50/day (no
mileage)
Per Diem -------------------- $110/day

We will try to help find places to stay. Some people will choose to
bunk up with others to save money

Right now we are working crews 12 hrs/day 7 days a week.

Under that scenario, workers are getting daily:$144/day straight time ,
$108/overtime

Personal Auto -- $50 Per-Diem---- $110 (must meet the minimum travel
distance over 50 miles) -----Total Per day ---$412/day --> $2,884/week
--$12,360mo. if we keep this pace.

The client is expecting work up to 18 months.

If we hire subcontractors we are willing to pay: $36.90 per hour. Time
and a half over 8 hrs/day Personal Auto/Phone $50/day Per Diem --
$125/day.
They need insurance that matches the prime contractors requirement. They
get paid when we get paid. This is funded through British Petroleum.
We will have formal subcontract agreements available ASAP.

Keith C. Brown,
PMP Construction Manager
AMEC Earth and Environmental
1395 South Marietta Parkway, Building 300, Suite 210
Marietta, Georgia 30067
T-(770) 420-2100 x 222, F-(770) 420-2080M-(404) 574-8876
Email: keith.brown@amec.com
Good luck.

See less See more
#44 ·
I sent Keith an email & my resume. I'll try calling him tomorrow to get a better idea if they'd be interested in somebody like me. The pay is pretty close to what I'm use to getting & the travel/time away from home is nothing new to me.

I can easily be on a plane tomorrow or be driving my truck/camper there. No need for a hotel/apartment with my camper & save even more $$$$$$. :)

With 20+ years in the Navy, plus another 5.5 working as a civilian aboard warships, the ~18 months sounds like childs play. :laugh:

#45 ·
email sent.

#47 · (Edited)
How old do you have to be to apply?

#50 ·
I have attempted to call Keith a couple of times. Evidently, things are busy there & both of his mailboxes are full and can not accept messages at this time. I did leave a message on their generic message system letting them know I'm interested & how to contact me, so we'll see how things develop & I'll post a responce then.

If somebody else hears back from him, I'd be interested in knowing what he has to say.

I did speak with Rik yesterday over the phone since we are friends & it seems there are lots of jobs needing to be filled to help in the clean-up effort.

#55 ·
Understand I am not saying this to discount the hazards of this work by any means however, as someone who administers a safety and regulatory affairs department myself, I would be interested to see the toxicology reports and interview coworkers of these individuals. I have known of plenty of people who went to hospital and filed suit against their employers after blatently ignoring the safety precautions and PPE requirements stipulated for the task.

In these environments there are always going to be those who approach it with a cavalier attitude and run headlong into the mess without taking the proper precautions and then get all butt-hurt because they get acutely or chronically injured.

#56 ·
Understand I am not saying this to discount the hazards of this work by any means however, as someone who administers a safety and regulatory affairs department myself, I would be interested to see the toxicology reports and interview coworkers of these individuals. I have known of plenty of people who went to hospital and filed suit against their employers after blatently ignoring the safety precautions and PPE requirements stipulated for the task.

In these environments there are always going to be those who approach it with a cavalier attitude and run headlong into the mess without taking the proper precautions and then get all butt-hurt because they get acutely or chronically injured.
Totally agree!!! I just found the article and figured I would post.

#57 ·
Just saw this. I am 100% down. I have a CDL ( if needed on shore) and have no problems with being on boats. Please let me know the next step hoss. I am dead serious, I am working now but I just go the job and the hours have already been cut from 50 to 25, so I really do need this.

#58 ·
Drop the $400 bucks on OSHA 40, knock it out over the long weekend online and apply. Any job down there is going to require a current OSA 40 cert. Google it and you will find a zillion online versions of the class to get certified.

It's $400 to make 150k.

#60 ·
I am 20 hours into a marathon OSHA 40 cert class online. I'll be done by Monday Morning.

#62 ·
You da' man! Stay with it. :thumbsup:

from the article

"Seven workers skimming oil from waters near shore were hospitalized after reporting dizziness, headaches and nausea."

Sounds like somebody don't got their sea legs....;)
You could be right.
My aunt and my sister both get seasick at the beach. I always thought that was odd but I understand it's common.
But, it sounds like a law suit in the making. Hope they get rich. :rolleyes:

#61 ·
from the article

"Seven workers skimming oil from waters near shore were hospitalized after reporting dizziness, headaches and nausea."

Sounds like somebody don't got their sea legs....;)

#64 ·
Just passed OSHA40. Thank you and good night.

#66 ·
I emailed Keith and he said that he wasnt involved with the work.

#67 ·
That make's no sense. Others have received emails from him and he never said that.
I'll make a call in the morning.

#70 ·
Give me a minute. There were several attachments to my email, and one of them had to do with medical.
I'll check and be right back.

No, it didn't say.
Best bet is to send an email to BP (addy on their website) and inquire there.
They have their own fire departments so there may be openings.

#72 ·
I just called and emailed Keith. I volunteer for 2 fire companies so im used to tough work and lots of training. Hopefully something comes out of this..... I need $$$$$$$ for O|||||||O

#75 ·
EMR is the company that he referred me to. Somebody posted the website earlier in the thread. Same pay info, 18 an hour, 110 per deim, 50 car/phone allowance. They have four or five ads all over CareerBuilder too. Looks like one main company doing the subcontract for safety audits and they are providing some people while subbing out to other staffing agencies. Pretty common on stuff of this scale.

I talked to someone at the EMR Corporate Headquarters and they said they are forwarding the apps to their people on the gulf for hiring. It does ook like most of these type jobs are looking for construction or safety experience.

#77 ·
This is the email I got from Keith.

"Please visit www.emr-inc.com for work information and requirements.

AMEC is not involved with this work."

#78 ·
Went to the EMR site and it said nothing about the pay scale.

#79 ·
I also saw nothing about payscale in the job description.

I just completed the hazwoper 40 course in 2 days and sent it off to EMR.

I had no idea this job was all over career builder, job has been up for a month already. That makes the chances of any of us getting this job very slim. They probably want people close to the area so that they don't have to deal or wait for people to relocate there. There are also other companies other than EMR offering the same job opportunity.

#82 ·
#84 ·
I put a call in and sent an email to Kieth this morning. I left him a message. Hopefully he will call me back soon.
I also left a message for my friend at BP.
As soon as I hear something I'll post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.