Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

35s or larger on 3" or less (LCG Jeeps)

2M views 4K replies 623 participants last post by  NYGLT56 
#1 ·
I want to see what you have. Looking for ideas. My goal is to run 35s w/ 2" suspension and 1" body, tube fenders, limit the up travel, cut the rear a bit.

BTW I have a TJ, I dont care to see other jeeps.

#587 ·
Here is a question. On my Tj im runing 2" suspesion. I will be out bording the shock towers to acomidate longer shocks. do i need Slip yoke eliminator? just asking due to the added flex.

#589 ·
As long as you don't add anymore suspension lift or do a tummy tuck you won't need a SYE, double cardan drive shaft and adjustable rear upper control arms.

If you add anymore suspension lift or a tummy tuck then your going to need them.

#597 ·
I also notice that you have stock wheels, what size of spacers do you have? Do you have the stock gearing still? 4.10? If so, do you have an auto or manual tranny? What's it run like on the highway and off road? Sorry for all the questions.

I am planning on Metal Cloaks and some new tires. Just debating back and forth between 33's and 35's.

Mike

#598 ·
Since you have a rubicon I would jump to 35's man. Ive had 3 sets of 33's and im sick of 33's. I have a 30/35 thats why im still on 33's. Although I have everything else for 35's just not axles yet lol. 4.10 on 35's is not that bad if you have a manual. Althought with an auto you might need to regear or just overdrive off and mash the pedal all the time.

#599 ·
I am running 1 1/4'' wheel spacers and the only rubbing issues I have is on the Pass side at full crank. I am still running stock gearing highway is not bad light to light is a tad bit sluggish offroad is still great with the 4low. It is a manual trans. I do have a 1 1/4'' BL and 1'' mml but no t-case drop.

#600 ·
Great I have the 5-Speed manual and the teralow. I don't go crawling that much, but the last two times spent most of it in 2nd or 3rd. I was thinking that with the 35's I would be able to crawl in 1st and 2nd more. I can upgrade the axles to 4.88's around next winter, but want to get the Metal Cloaks and new tires and wheels this spring. Gonna try to catch one of the Jeep Jamboree's this year..and want the 35's.

Thanks again Guys
Mike

#603 ·
what qualifies this rig as an LCOG build? I don't know about the leaf spring rigs, but it looks like it has extenders/shackles/whatever you call them on the springs to pick the frame up...

Just curiou:dunno:s

#607 ·
Hahahaha yeah I put that up with the utmost sarcasm. Its a jeep my friends dad got, he buys and sells jeeps and that was there when I went over. Absolute beater. Story was it apparently was on 44's, not axles, tires, and he said those were the stock axles.........

Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread btw

#611 ·
Really like the LCG Look. There are some really nice Rigs in this thread, I have an 04 Rubicon with a 4.5" RE Lift with 33x12.5 and 15x10" wheels with 3.85" BS. The question I have what will it take for me to run 35" tires? Will I also need to replace my wheels? Any info will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

#612 ·
You could fit 35" tires right now with no problem.

You would want to check your bump stops to make sure your tires don't hit your fenders at full flex.

I would suggest re-gearing your axles to regain the performance and gas mileage loss.

I would personally suggest putting chromo axle shafts in both your front and rear axles, there much stronger then your stock axle shafts. A lot of people run 35" tires on stock Rubicon axles and most of them never have a problem.

#614 ·
Nice Rig, I plan on going with Metal Cloaks, and 35's. I have the 2 inch BDS Springs.

How's those 37's do on 4.56 gearing?

Mike

#621 ·
2.5 RC lift 1.25 BL and 33's in this pic. 37's are coming after some work being done next week.

Just swapped in a set of Rubicon 44's front and rear with RCV front shafts and ten factory shafts in the rear running 5.13 gears. also running 8 Currie JJ control arms. Jeep is going in the shop next week for Tummy tuck and SYE with new front and rear Drive shafts. Still trying to figure out if I want to go to 3.5 springs or a set of adjustable spacers on top of the 2.5 springs.

#625 ·
thats awesome. who said a snorkel cant look good on a stock jeep?
actually, most all of these rigs are awesome. i wish i had that kind of money.

#627 ·
There is a lot of talk of up travel and down travel, I dont run 35's on my current jeep but I have on my Bronco and on my JK Rubicon Unlimited. I can tell you that on both accounts that small lift and lots of shock droop is the way to go. On stock vehicles you can cut the shock tower and weld in extensions to get a big shock in on a small spring. Bump stops stop you on a few inches of up travel and the shock lets the tire droop to crazy amounts. This is ideal. It pains me to see jeeps running 4 plus inches of lift for 33's. You dont need but 2 or 3. For 35's special fenders on the TJ are needed or cut and JK's are good all day on 35's. Shock mount customization is where its at. I had 15" travel shocks on my Bronco and it was all custom and solid axle swapped.

Great thread by the way.

#628 ·
There is a lot of talk of up travel and down travel, I dont run 35's on my current jeep but I have on my Bronco and on my JK Rubicon Unlimited. I can tell you that on both accounts that small lift and lots of shock droop is the way to go. On stock vehicles you can cut the shock tower and weld in extensions to get a big shock in on a small spring. Bump stops stop you on a few inches of up travel and the shock lets the tire droop to crazy amounts. This is ideal. It pains me to see jeeps running 4 plus inches of lift for 33's. You dont need but 2 or 3. For 35's special fenders on the TJ are needed or cut and JK's are good all day on 35's. Shock mount customization is where its at. I had 15" travel shocks on my Bronco and it was all custom and solid axle swapped.

Great thread by the way.
All very true, the problem is most of the LCG jeeps in here are not relocating there shock mounts and only have 2 or 3 inches before they hit there bump stops, that might be fine for slow wheeling but if you have any speed at all your going to be bouncing of your bump stops all day long.

#629 ·
Good point on the bouncing, I have 4 inches of up travel on my current rubicon and added 2 inch bar pin eliminators made from 3/4" stock to allow extra droop. I ended up with 4 inches up and 7 inches down. I dont seem to have any issues at the moment with bump stops bottoming out. I am currently on 33's but if I were going to go 35's it would be fender mods only and my current suspension (doetsch tech with the bar pin extensions). No more than 2 inches are needed IMO.

#630 ·
4" of up travel is good, 5" helps you move threw woops a lot faster, but 4 gets it done. 2 or 3 inches just isn't enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.