Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Jeep Owner

2K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Liquor 
#1 ·
So! By the end of next week I will be taking delivery on a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Picked it up for a good price, no hassles yet.

I just wanted to introduce myself on the forum as I'm a bit of a forum lacky when it comes to my vehicles.

Up until last Wednesday I was the extremely proud owner of a 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution MR - which i successfuly crashed into someone else's garage... So I've now decided that rather than going fast I will go slow and try not to roll my new (to me) jeep.

This is going to be a huge change for me. My car was potentially the fastest Evo X in BC, and definitely the fastest Evo X MR in BC. Now I'm going to be driving an *** slow Jeep! But it'll still be a riot.

I have a bit of problem with modifying everything I own. My Evo was one off, my Harley is 1 off, and I am damn sure that within a year or two my Jeep should be a monster.

So, as I sign off, I'm Rik, I will soon have a Jeep, I do not want to crash into another house with this vehicle, but I may drive it off a cliff...

See less See more
#14 ·
That's BS! The JK is a capable rig right out of the box. I am a TJ owner. My first jeep was a 74 CJ5. I know a Jeep when I see one. I'd take a JK over a YJ every day of the week. I am fine with a little intergeneration rivalry but that was no way to welcome a new jeep owner to the group.
Especially coming from a square headlighted open D35d low output 4 popper.:wave:

#4 ·
ah a 4 door jk, what are your plans for it? oh and get ready for the minivan bashing. its all good and fun any time there is a new jeep on the block it gets picked on till its old news. so is it stock? and for the record the best desition i made was to stop the fast and furious b.s. and go jeep. because after all no matter how sweet you think your f&f lancers and impreza's are there still just the cheapest vehicle in there lineup souped up and over priced! easy to crash. not that a jeep isn't easy to crash... may be easier. but you'll not kill your self and everyone around you when you do.. atleast lets hope not.. unless you park like this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/my-jeep-made-headlines-my-work-today-943640/ well this forum will be bountys of invaluable information.

#5 ·
Welcome! I too am a new guy to Jeeps, but I came over from the lifted truck segment. Sure is a different experience, but I love it so far! Just as there is always a faster rice burner than yours, there will always be a bigger bader Jeep than yours. If you can get a handle on that and not get butt hurt when you are in someone elses shadow, you should be able to keep a few $ in your pocket. Have fun!

#6 ·
sage advice. build your jeep to be fun for you and what makes you happy. there will alway be a bigger badder jeep on the block. and its a king of the hill game. dont get cought up in that b.s. have fun with your jeep.

#7 ·
Oh don't worry, the "fast and the furious" has been sucked out of me. The Evo was fun, it should have ran a high 11 in the 1/4. But I'm past all that.

The Jeep is totally stock right now. I'm not 100% sure how far I want to go with it yet. Decided to go with the 4 door instead of the 2 door as I'm in sales and the extra room makes it a heck of a lot easier to pick up a few customers and grab stuff off a jobsite if I have to. I really wanted the 2 door Rubicon but just not enough room for my needs.

It'll probably stay more or less stock this year. Next year I'm thinking about a 4 1/2" (approximately) lift, new rubber and wheels. Pull off the bumpers and put on some tougher/who cares if I hit a tree with them bumpers. Looking into some performance work. Probably just work on getting the motor to breath properly through exhaust and intake. That would include moving the air intake around a bit, new intake manifold (if there's such a beast available for my minivan motor), proper set of tubular headers, and a full custom exhaust set up.

The Jeep's a 2007, a darker red (I think it's called Red Rock Red on the new ones), hard top and soft top, 6 speed, power group, tow package, standard stereo (which I will remedy in time).

#10 ·
I'm not looking for a whole bunch of extra power, just something to wake it up on the highway. Really just smooth out the power band.

If I get really bored I'd probably go with a Hemi swap. My biggest concern there is that I'm sure I'll start breaking things in the driveline with that much extra HP. The torque in the low gears scares me a little as well.

I've still got a bike that's pretty quick so I can still enjoy some on that. I'm just looking to build a really capable 4 door that I can get up into the bush without any issues, looks good, and is still reliable enough for me to drive every day.

#11 ·
Seriously, don't waste your money on intakes and exhaust, it won't wake anything up. Its really not worth the money at all.

Also this:

So, as I sign off, I'm Rik, I will soon have a Jeep, I do not want to crash into another house with this vehicle, but I may drive it off a cliff...
Is signature worthy :rofl:

Welcome:wave:

#12 ·
hah, thanks man.

Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust and everything. A lot of the stuff I do to vehicles may not actually do a whole to it, but it's still more fun shooting myself in the foot and gives me something to do on the weekends.

#17 ·
You guy's would be disapointed if I didn't do at least one JK rag a week, so here goes hee hee.
You said your a new jeep owner, but yet you bought a JK, thats an oxymoron!!!!!!
"Just kidding", welcome to the jeep family and the forum, enjoy, were glad to have you.

#22 ·
Hi Rik.

The funny thing is that I am also new here. We came from the same path apparently. I just bought (to be delivered in 6-8 weeks) an Unlimited Rubicon 2010 (loaded but the leather). My current car is a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, and getting fed up of the fast and furious mood...although I avoided the crashes. For a while I pondered a Subaru WRX STI but decided Jeep would definitely be more fun.

Welcome and hope you have fun with your new toy.

#23 ·
Thanks! I was originally looking at a 2010... the 2010 I wanted was $37,885 + tax, pdi and all that crap. total was around $42,000.

found this 2007 about 12 hours away ($350 shipping) for $19,500 + tax. Has 74,000 km's on it, but I figured I couldn't pass up a deal for the Jeep if it's half price over new. and it has every option I wanted, and none of the ones I didn't.

#24 ·
You all are wasting your time defending the JK. It will have a bulls eye drawn on it untill a new jeep wrangler model comes out. We all went through it with our TJ's and YJ's as well. Since the demise of the CJ, it's been open season on all new wrangler models. It's now become tradition, a right of passage if you will. It's like being welcomed into a gang with a beat down ha ha.

#26 ·
It's fine, but it should not be the first response to a hi I'm new here thread.

Also when the YJ came out CJ guys didn't have the internet to use to rag on the YJ owners. They did it face to face like men. I guess they could have written letters about why YJs sucked and mailed them to YJ owners but I doubt they did that.

#29 ·
minivan? i think not

back in the shop now for t-case, axles, lights, and seats...

theres plenty more built JK Unlimiteds in the JK forum topic...dont let these guys get to you. they are still bitter about the time they bought the new Jeep model and got the same comments :teehee:

#33 ·
Took delivery on the Jeep today. This is the first time I've actually seen it since I had it shipped from 12 hours away in another province. Only issue was that 2 of the seat belts had rips in them, had those replaced by the dealership at their cost.

Seems to run good, had it on the highway for a bit and there's no wobbles or issues that I can see. For some reason the airbag light came on for a few minutes then turned itself off on the way home... I know that the stock stereo was re installed by the last owner and they blew a fuse during the swap. In another car of mine the stereo shop threw my airbag sensor warning light because of crossing a couple wires during the install of the stereo. I'm guessing this is the same situation. I'll have the dealership run the DTC's when I'm in there next week and all should be good.

Probably taking it for its first off road flogging on Monday, hopefully it holds up!

I'll post pics in a couple of days.

#35 ·
So, spent about 5 hours on the side of a mountain today. Took the jeep out on Wednesday night as well.

Was out with a good budy of mine who runs an Xterra with a slight lift and some crap tires. He's got a pretty weak rig but he's able to run it through more junk than you could imagine. He got hung up a couple times today but the Rubi plowed through everything without hesitation.

Had water up to about 6" from the hood. Trails weren't super hard, but it was nice to get the jeep out into the dirt for a few hours and put a few scratches on it.

Lockers work flawlesly, sway bar disconnect worked just like it should. It was a little frustrating driving behind the Xterra as it's an auto and it's comfortable at a speed that is just a little too slow for 4H in first, and 4L is a pain in the *** at times. Hopefully he trades that rig in soon.

I'm not planning on any real mods for the year, but knowing me I may be posting a build thread in a few months...

Looks like a Rubicon Express 3 1/2" long arm kit, 35's, and smaller bumpers may be on the list.

Current Verdict - Damn happy!

#36 ·
You may want to do a little research now about how to properly maintain your Jeep after water crossing. I believe there are ways for water to get into your axels or difs when they are completly submerged. Do some research, you may have a project this week of draining and swapping fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.