Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Who thinks lcog rigs look ugly?

55K views 299 replies 81 participants last post by  awinski 
#1 ·
I prefer the look and function of a properly lifted jeep. Probably will get flamed on here but I like mine to be high in the air.

#32 ·
I don't give a **** what it looks like, so long as it does what I want it to. Here in Crawlorado, that's climb rocks and handle off camber crap. That means a low center of gravity, among other things.

Who thinks non-tech threads on dumb subjects in TJ Tech is dumb?

:wave:
:wave: I second. I learn more on pirate or under a Jeep then I do here, I just come here for the good times, good people, and amusement (and to contribute what I do know to those wanting to learn).

And there is the personal attacks I expected. How about just simply stating your opinion or just keeping it to yourself if you only have negative things to say.
There is no room for opinion in a technical forum.

LCOG or not is a matter of where you wheel, what you want it to do, and your opinion.

And frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

:cheers2:

#35 ·
I guess this is the kind of thread that gets posted when hypocrisy and ignorance combine.

csmith, it is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt.

Hope that helps

#42 ·
Dogbones said:
Girls like men with big trucks not jeeps, sorry
I like women not girls, thanks.

#44 ·
I prefer the look and function of a properly lifted jeep. Probably will get flamed on here but I like mine to be high in the air.
I also prefer the look and function of a properly lifted jeep. I use "properly" in the proper way, meaning "characterized by appropriateness or suitability; fitting".

If you do mud bogs for example, then the "proper" way to lift the jeep would be as high as possible. If you prefer off-camber ledge climbs, then the "proper" way would be to lift it as little as possible.

So I don't really understand why anyone would want to flame you. You obviously do not care about off-camber stability, but that's what makes the Jeep world fun; everyone can set up their rig however they want it for the function they are trying to achieve.

#49 ·
mrblaine said:
Define LCG and then when you get it built, come and play. :rofl:

I don't care how you accomplish it, but if you don't have 20" of clearance under the frame, you won't like it where we go, not one little bit.

If you want to do that with 40's and 2" of lift and call it LCG, that's fine, but if you ain't got the belly clearance, you're in for a long day.
Oh i fully agree. Unfortunatly my wallet is several thousands of dollars short from me even beginning to start cutting up my jeep :( lol

LCG to me is low lift, big tires and like you said, lots of belly height. Again like you said, An LCG build pointless unless you have the belly clearance to go with it. And I know lcg isnt right for JV.

#79 ·
COG is relative to width and length and weight. Change any of those parameters and you change the COG. So even without changing anything else including the WMS to WMS distance, a rig with a wider stance will be more stable due to a slightly lower COG.
Could you please explain this because classical Newtonian physics shows that the cg is not relative to any of the three parameters you mention. Proportionally increasing or decreasing any objects length, width, or relative weight will leave the cg at it's original location. Of course, increasing length will increase the for-to-aft tipping angle (aka, tipping point) and increasing width will increase the side-to-side tipping point, but not the cg, nor will a proportional increase in mass alter either the tipping point or cg.

#80 ·
Could you please explain this because classical Newtonian physics shows that the cg is not relative to any of the three parameters you mention. Proportionally increasing or decreasing any objects length, width, or relative weight will leave the cg at it's original location. Of course, increasing length will increase the for-to-aft tipping angle (aka, tipping point) and increasing width will increase the side-to-side tipping point, but not the cg, nor will a proportional increase in mass alter either the tipping point or cg.
Instead of focusing so much on true center of gravity, try focusing on real life stability...

There are many different mathmatical formulas to determin things that are stubidly obvious.... <---- I'm sure I miss spelled a few things...

What happens to a LCOG rig when it hits an obstacle that raises the axle far enough on one side that the axle pushes against the bump stop on that side and pushes the frame and body upwards? What happens to the low side? What keeps the weight from shifting over to the lower side of the suspension?

#53 ·
These threads are funny. Thanks for the laugh

If you want something resembling a response, you need to define a few things you said in the original post.... like the point of this thread.

I prefer to build my rig with what it needs for where I wheel, than to take others opinions and comments who live across the nation from me. For I am the one who will be paying for the parts, installing (or paying to have them installed), wheeling it, and recovering it (when needed). If your junk then qualifies for lcog or hcog, awesome.

I also do not think a jeep is ugly, unless you are comparing it to a super car or something else out of my price range. Jeep=American Sports Car

#69 ·
Its definitely harder to get a LCOG to look nice but they definitely exist, I didn't know Copperhead had built that far, it looks awesome!

Sometimes I think people go overboard on the LCOG thing, I doubt many LCOGers are running the numbers for COG change as they lift, which is the entire point. 35"s on no lift, oh how cool, whats the percentage of incline change that made it worth it?

#78 ·
All he wanted to do was complain about a look he didn't approve of, similar to a girlfriend complaining about your shoes not going with a certain belt.
Your shoes are supposed to match your belt?

I'm not helping. :D

#83 ·
It is true that there will always be more available travel with more lift, but clearance of the axles is not affected by SL.

Don't people find that tire size is more important than all out SL? I am asking because I don't know and think you would hit you pumpkin/axle more often than the belly.

#86 ·
A few are forgetting that with a little care, the pumpkin is easily lifted up above obstacles by simply positioning a tire on obstacles instead of the pumpkin.

Some drive so blindly that their pumpkins hit everything but with more experience, that isn't a common problem. Not to forget that the pumpkin is heavy cast iron that is so thick that it is rarely damaged by impacts with rocks anyway.

#91 ·
A few are forgetting that with a little care, the pumpkin is easily lifted up above obstacles by simply positioning a tire on obstacles instead of the pumpkin.

Some drive so blindly that their pumpkins hit everything but with more experience, that isn't a common problem. Not to forget that the pumpkin is heavy cast iron that is so thick that it is rarely damaged by impacts with rocks anyway.
Thank you. This is what I was asking. I figured this to be the case. I try to be careful when off road. I liken it to shooting. You can miss fast enough to win!

As far as lockers go, I understand that and that wasn't really the question. I wanted to know if people find themselves hung up more on the diff or belly. I have front/rear locker for a reason :thumbsup:

#87 ·
i think many lcog jeeps look good, some dont. i changed my plans in my build. i am adding a little more lift to keep the sheetmetal away from the rocks/damage. my first plan was 2" lift and 37's. now its more like 4.75" and 36's. i sold off my 2" ome springs, and got some 3.5" re's. my rig is a lj rubicon, and it aint gonna be light, so i wanted the extra spring rate and height. the ultimate in flex is not my first concern.
it will never see serious hardcore wheeling, moderate trails and dunes only. i have an old buggy for the nasty stuff.
it must be driveable to any trail and back. it must be able to tow a trailer. it must be safe and fun to drive on road trips. it must look good!

no up travel is dumb!
lifted to the sky looks dumb!
your pocket flares look retarded!
to each their own.

#95 ·
Also our forward/aft CG is constantly changing. The fuel quantity does not stay constant. Not to mention the amount of gear/beer in the back. There are many variables that go into CG calculation. How much lift or how long your wheelbase is just part of the equation. And 99% of the people on this forum think CG=ride height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.