Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Noob engine swap question.

619 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  NYScrambler 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading for a bit but haven't had much chance to do some posting yet. Anyway, I'm also new to a YJ engine swap. I've done a few in the past. Including a Scrambler. My question here is how do I get those inverted Torx engine to tranny bolts from the top of the bell housing out? I have the Torx socket for it but there is literally no room to get a ratchet in there. The CJ's I've done were pretty easy since they were hex bolts. I used offset head box wrenches for those. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
The best way I know is to let the trans lower a bit and go in thru the shifter opening down the tranny tunnel. With an extension or two and a wobble joint you should be good to go.

#3 ·
A body lift helps but yeah, i agrree with rusty, the shifter acess panel is probably the best route. They are a MAJOR pain in the anal region

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try lowering the tranny a little and going through the tranny tunnel. I lowered the tranny on my Scrambler when I swapped the motor. Didn't need to go through the tunnel for that one so I didn't even think of that this time. If I can't get it that way, then motor and tranny come out together. And........ when the replacement motor gets attached I'm using normal hex bolts at the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.